Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Zucchini Night

We planted a little garden this year and our zucchini plant has exploded already. I have shredded 3 large ones, cut one into sticks, and we still have one ready in the garden and 7 growing. I wish our tomato plants were ready too, but I guess for now zucchini will do. I found a sight awhile back with tons of different recipes and have been excited to use the zucchini recipes. I'll add the recipes of foods I try, but here's the site in case anyone wants more recipes. www.arealmomkitchen.blogspot.com

The first recipe I tried was Zucchini meatloaf.....mmm mmm Good Zucchini Meatloaf Recipe
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/3 cup Plain Bread Crumbs
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
Topping
2 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tablespoon yellow mustard
Heat oven to 350.In a large bowl, mix all meat loaf ingredients until well blended. Press mixture into ungreased 9 1/2-inch deep-dish glass pie plate. Bake 35 minutes.Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix all topping ingredients.Remove meat loaf from the oven; pour off drippings. Spread topping over loaf. Return to the oven; bake 10 to 15 minutes longer or until thoroughly cooked in center and meat thermometer reads 160. Let stand 5 minutes before serving for juices to set up
This is my own recipe for Fried Zucchini Sticks, they're delicious!
Fried Zucchini Sticks
1 Zucchini
1/3 C. parmesean cheese
1 C. bread crumbs
1 t. garlic salt
1 t. season all
1 T. Italian Seasoning
1 egg
Cut Zucchini into sticks (any size you want) Beat egg in a dish. Put drey ingredients in a seperate dish. Dip Zucchini in egg then into bread mixture. Coat all pieces. Bring oil to a hot sizzling temperature. Place Zucchini in oil and cook about 3-5 minutes until golden brown. Dip in ranch dressing if you want. Healthy treat gone bad.
And for dessert, you guessed it, Carmel Zucchini Cupcakes. Yummy!Zucchini Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting
3 eggs
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 cups shredded
Zucchini Caramel Frosting
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2-2 cups confectioners' sugar
In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, oil, orange juice and extract. Combine dry ingredients; add to the egg mixture and mix well. Add zucchini and mix well. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until cupcakes test done. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.For frosting, combine brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to lukewarm.Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes.

1 comments:

Kaesy said...

Oh I'm so glad you did this because I have zucchini coming soon! And lots of it. Can't wait.